Program and Application Information
The Olive Fellowship is a need-based scholarship for outstanding undergraduate chemistry students to participate in the Laboratory Research Experience Program (LRE) at UC Berkeley. Successful applicants will have demonstrated a strong case for financial need.
Two fellowships are available for 2020. The fellowship covers the entire LRE tuition (USD $12,000) and also provides an additional USD $5,000 stipend to the fellow to cover program-related expenses (travel, visas, accommodation, meals while at Berkeley).
Application deadline is April 10, 2020.
Who Should Apply?
Applicants must be current undergraduate chemistry students and must fit the following eligibility criteria:
- Students must meet the general LRE program requirements and be accepted to the program.
- First-generation or low-income university students. Students who do not have a family history of higher education or who come from a low-income background.
- History of academic achievement in their undergraduate studies.
How to Apply
- Complete the general LRE program application first and be accepted to the program (please click here for the LRE program application).
- Once accepted, complete the Olive Fellowship application package and be prepared to demonstrate financial need and write outstanding personal essays (see Application Details).
- Application deadline is April 10, 2020.
Application open date: December 2, 2019
Application close date: April 10, 2020
1. Fill out the application form. Your application may be saved at various stages and returned to later.
2. Proof of citizenshipYou will need a copy of the main page of your passport.
3. Declaration of Need Essay. The Olive Fellowship is committed to providing an opportunity to those students who are first-generation university students or to those that do not have the financial means to participate in the Laboratory Research Experience. Describe how you meet this commitment in 500 words or fewer.
4. A Personal Biography. In 150 words or fewer, write a short professional biography, be sure to share impressive accomplishments. Secondly, in 250 words or fewer, write about an exciting project that you have worked on or one way you have pursued something you care deeply for.
5. Submit your application by sending all the materials above to Prof. Omar M. Yaghi (firstname.lastname@example.org).